Re: grep --dont-read-devices-or-symlinks

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:47:16 +0200

On 17.06.2005, at 17:39, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:find attached a patch to grep to only read real files, ignoring symlinks,
:devices, etc.(-O --only-files). I felt I need this for grepping my /src/sys
:which also contains some compile/* directories where modules produce recurs=
:ive
:loops...
Well, there is at least one issue with this. I'm not sure the option is
general enough. e.g. perhaps it should not avoid symlinks. I'd use
stat() rather then lstat() at the very least.

the main purpose of this is to avoid symlinked directories, but I thought going a little bit more general and ignoring anything non-regular would be better in the end.

    Grep isn't realliy the best utility to search an entire hierarchy.
    I would use a comnation of find with the -exec option to write
    a search script.

For sophisticated stuff yes, but I just wanted a quick hack to "just grep -Or /sys $foo"

cheers
  simon

Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /