Re: Patch to execve

From: "Kevin M. Kilbride" <kmk@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:02:12 -0800

Bill Hacker wrote:

I apreciate your thorough research, but do not see this as a 'show stopper'.

Actually, that's exactly what I said two posts ago. There is no problem here that prevents compilation of any code. This is not a functionality issue. The world will not end if this bug remains unfixed forever. But, by the same token, it also does not prevent efforts to change the signature of library or kernel functions that resort to these promotions. These are just warnings, after all.

The only issue here is whether or not the WARNS=6 project is truly advisable in light of these facts. If you actually suffer a regression in program safety by eliminating all warnings under GCC, one has to question about the wisdom of the exercise.

Side question, but does anyone have access to the commercial Intel 8.X compiler, can it compile the DragonFlyBSD sources, and what, just for comparison, does it do about issues of this sort?

Hmmm. A very interesting suggestion. Maybe I'll download it and find out (it's available free for non-commercial use now).