Re: dfuife_curses and how to use it

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:56:20 -0800

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:46:54 +0800
sam <samwun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Pressey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:54:48 +0800
> > sam <samwun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > http://www.bsdinstaller.org/download.html
> >
> Hi, thanks for the link. I have all of the libs and programs installed
> in my FreeBSD system (5.3). From a glance, there is a question I would
> like to ask. What is the purpose of running dfuibe_installer before
> running dfuife_curses?

dfuibe_installer is the backend, which contains the actual logic which
actually performs the installation.  dfuife_curses is a frontend that
lets you control the backend using a curses interface.  dfuibe_installer
is started first, and dfuife_curses connects to it using a TCP/IP
socket.

> I tried the following commands:
> /usr/local/sbin/dfuibe_installer -o /
> /usr/local/sbin/dfuife_curses
>
> the above commands display a dialog with message sort of
> "installation  Dragonfly BSD...."

See the driver script /usr/local/bin/installer to see how the installer
is actually started.

> I also found the /tmp directory has a new file /tmp/extracted_vars.txt
> which contains alot of system information about my system.

This is a temporary file (for reading your settings from rc.conf I
believe).  Under normal circumstances it will be deleted before the
installer exits.

> The README files from these programs give me an overview about how to
> link my c program with these libraires. Is that meant if I want to
> create a custom installation procedure, I will need to link my C
> programs to the dfui* libraries files?

Yes, if you want to write a whole new installer backend (or frontend).
More typically, if you want to customize the installer, you can just
modify the dfuibe_installer source.

> [...]
> Hi, I found another problem when running dfuife_curses. When pressing
> down the arrow keys of the keypads, I don't see the colour of the
> cursor  contrast with the froground colour, so the background colour
> of the text  is unchange when the cursor moving over the text. How can
> I change the  setting of background colour of the cursor?

I don't understand what you mean exactly.  The widget with the current
'focus' should be highlighted (white on blue), while other widgets
should be the same colours as the rest of the dialog box (black on
grey.)  In the case of textboxes, only the edges of the widget are
highlighted, and a cursor appears at the text insertion point between
them.  This cursor is handled by curses itself, so I don't think you
have much control over its appearance.  The highlighting and dialog box
colours can be changed by changing some constants in dfuife_curses.

-Chris