Re: Having multple kernel sources

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:18:24 -0800 (PST)

:How about having src/sys be a varsym?  (Not officially, I mean, if some
:developer needs this it sounds like it should be easy enough for them to
:do this.)
:
:-Chris

    To deal with the "../../.... sys" the actual sys directories would have
    to still be in /usr/src, but you might be able to use a varsym for 'sys'
    itself.

    e.g. /usr/src/sys.stable, /usr/src/sys.current would be real directories,
    and /usr/src/sys would be a varsym.

    Why don't you try it?  Remember to enable varsym with
    'sysctl vfs.varsym_enable = 1'.

    varsyms still need some work.  The most useful varsym is the process-local
    varsym but the 'varsym' program can't set those since it would only set
    the varsym for it's own pid, not for the shell that exec'd it.  I've been
    on the fence as to whether I should implement a varsym built-in to sh and
    csh, or whether I should augment the varsym implementation to allow the
    varsym program to set varsym's for its parent process (given suitable
    perms checks).

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>