Re: [GSoC] inotify and fs indexing service status

From: Vishesh Yadav <vishesh3y@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:10:40 +0530

--f46d042f927a6d46b504c3e73104

Hello,

I wasn't able to put much work on code last week. Did some work on man
pages.

Vishesh

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Vishesh Yadav <vishesh3y@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In fifth week I implement idr - integer management library using code of
> file descriptor allocators in kern_descrip.c. Worked to use the new library
> to be used with filedesc, however something or other didn't work out. Will
> be trying that again after looking at code more properly. Rest tested
> existing work done till now which seems to work quite fine. There are
> mainly two events left to handle IN_MOVED_TO and IN_MOVED_FROM, which I'm
> being able to detect however have to synchronise them both using cookie
> argument.
>
> Vishesh
>

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Vishesh Yadav <vishesh3y@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This week's status -
>>
>> * Added following notes for EVFILT_VNODE - NOTE_OPEN, NOTE_ACCESS,
>> NOTE_CLOSE_WRITE, NOTE_CLOSE_NOWRITE, NOTE_CREATE. They work with Hammer
>> and UFS.
>>
>> * Implemented inotify_read() and have the most important masks working.
>> Hence now we have a working inotify system.
>>
>> Vishesh
>>
>> On 06/10/2012 11:42 PM, Vishesh Yadav wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Not much new code this week. Improved and tested existing code, exposed
>> > watch/instance limits through sysctl and made the system respect the
>> limits.
>> >
>> > Rest studied kernel kqueue interface and its usage to be used in
>> > inotify_read. Planned to add few knotes like NOTE_ACCESS, NOTE_CLOSE and
>> > linux like idr integer management that can be used in fdalloc and watch
>> > descriptors.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Vishesh

>> added,
>> codes
>> fileops

>> code.

>> and

--f46d042f927a6d46b504c3e73104

Hello,<br><br>I wasn&#39;t able to put much work on code last week. Did som=
e, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Vishesh Yadav <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:vishesh3y@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">vishesh3y@gmail.com</a>&gt;<=
/span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello,<br><br>In fifth week I implement idr =
- integer management library using code of file descriptor allocators in ke=
rn_descrip.c. Worked to use the new library to be used with filedesc, howev=
er something or other didn&#39;t work out. Will be trying that again after =
looking at code more properly. Rest tested existing work done till now whic=
h seems to work quite fine. There are mainly two events left to handle IN_M=
OVED_TO and IN_MOVED_FROM, which I&#39;m being able to detect however have =
to synchronise them both using cookie argument.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font=
 color=3D"#888888"><br>

iv class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Vishesh Yadav <sp=
an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:vishesh3y@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank"=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hello,<br>
This week&#39;s status -<br>
* Added following notes for EVFILT_VNODE - NOTE_OPEN, NOTE_ACCESS,<br>
NOTE_CLOSE_WRITE, NOTE_CLOSE_NOWRITE, NOTE_CREATE. They work with Hammer<br=

and UFS.<br>
* Implemented inotify_read() and have the most important masks working.<br>
Hence now we have a working inotify system.<br>
Vishesh<br>
On 06/10/2012 11:42 PM, Vishesh Yadav wrote:<br>
&gt; Hello,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Not much new code this week. Improved and tested existing code, expose=
d<br>
&gt; watch/instance limits through sysctl and made the system respect the l=
imits.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Rest studied kernel kqueue interface and its usage to be used in<br>
&gt; inotify_read. Planned to add few knotes like NOTE_ACCESS, NOTE_CLOSE a=
nd<br>
&gt; linux like idr integer management that can be used in fdalloc and watc=
h<br>
&gt; descriptors.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt; Vishesh<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 06/03/2012 10:14 PM, Vishesh Yadav wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Hello,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; This week I finished watch management functions. Now watches can b=
e added,<br>
&gt;&gt; removed from into the inotify_instance. Hence inotify_add_watch,<b=
r>
&gt;&gt; inotify_rm_watch are now almost complete. Just have to check error=
 codes<br>
&gt;&gt; that are being returned. I also implemented fo_close for inotify f=
ileops<br>
&gt;&gt; which cleans up the instance well now.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt;&gt; Vishesh<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Vishesh Yadav &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:vishesh3y@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">vishesh3y@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Hello everyone,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Current status for first week -<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; - Repository and wiki setup at Github[1]<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; - Made the basic skeleton for inotify interface - system calls=
, helper<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; functions, structures, headers and few basic stuff in there.<b=
r>
&gt;&gt;&gt; - Currently working on management of watches (will be using se=
parate<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; file tables for watches). Once this is done, can write some wo=
rking code.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; In community bonding period, I setup my working environment, b=
rowse and<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; understood relevant kernel codebase and studied Linux early an=
d recent<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; inotify implementation.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Now that exams are almost over, I hope I can catch up some pac=
e now.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Vishesh<br>