Working directly for DFBSD

From: Kedar Soparkar <kedarsoparkar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 22:54:29 +0530

Hi all,

You may remember me as one of the students who applied for the i386
ABI Implementation project under GSOC.

Unfortunately, due to a variety of reasons (some of which have already
been pointed out), I could not get selected.

Some of the major points:

1. I did not interact significantly on the mailing list (besides
cheekily asking for comments on my proposal).
2. I had not contributed in any way to DFBSD prior to the proposal stage.
(Feel free to add more in succession)

Irrespective of the results, I still intend to continue with the
project. My primary motivation for taking it up was to contribute to
something practical & real-life, as opposed to just working on
assignments in college courses (although, I must admit that the moolah
& the t-shirt were also enticing :) ) As I can still gain a summer's
worth of experience & hopefully come out with a working solution for
DFBSD, it looks like a win-win situation, for both, the DragonFly
community & me.

Since I'm no longer bound by the GSOC timeline, I will simply offset
the work to begin on 15th of June, after dealing with my GRE exam.
Everything else regarding the schedule shall remain unchanged.

Now to matters of more import:

I know that the DragonFly community is stretched as it is due to GSOC
work, so I wanted to ask whether I can request for a mentor of sorts
during this period. Although I am sure I can count on the IRC & the
mailing list for answers, it would be reassuring to know that someone
is equally interested in getting this project done, besides me.

This would also be the ideal time to let me know if someone has
already started work on this idea, or for whatever reason, doesn't
want me to work on this idea.

Regards,
Kedar.