Re: Google Code-In tasks

From: "Samuel J. Greear" <sjg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 21:37:06 -0600

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Pratyush Kshirsagar
<pratyush.kshirsagar@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i was thinking of project idea as to port busybox for embeded dev on
> dragonfly bsd. This would bring dfly with a flash into the embedded
> world.
>
> What do you guys think?

The BSD's have traditionally done this somewhat differently...

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=crunchgen&sektion=1

There is a tool called crunchgen which takes a more flexible approach
to the same end as busybox. There are also probably areas in which it
could be improved. -- I don't think we maintain this tool in base, but
other BSD's do.

In combination with crunchgen, portions of DragonFly base system
utilities could be made to conditionally compile only with the whole
system. This could further reduce their size, and if approached
sensibly, could help to modularize and improve the code of the various
base system utilities that were touched.

I see no compelling reason someone would choose to use
BusyBox/DragonFly over BusyBox/Linux, apart from HAMMER, which
definitely is not an embedded filesystem.

Sam