Re: I/O errors on Hammer volume

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:33:43 +0200

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:44:36AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :I've just found this in the daily security output of my workstation
> :(running 2.6.1) :
> :
> :Checking setuid files and devices:
> :find: /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/sysinfo/CVS/Entries: Input/output error
> :find: /usr/pkgsrc/devel/avltree/CVS/Entries: Input/output error
> :find: /usr/pkgsrc/security/p5-Crypt-RSA/CVS/Entries: Input/output error
> :find: /usr/pkgsrc/ham/dpbox/CVS/Entries.Log: Input/output error
> :find: /usr/pkg/openoffice.org: Input/output error
> :find: /usr/pkg/openoffice.org3: Input/output error
> :
> :These directories can no longer be used:
> :
> :# cd /usr/pkg
> :# ls -ld o*
> :ls: openoffice.org: Input/output error
> :ls: openoffice.org3: Input/output error
> :
> :I'm not sure if this is due to a bug in HAMMER or to some sort of hardware
> :failure. The hard disk is a 500GB Western Digital Green model with a single
> :hammer version 4 volume. The directories belong to the root fs.
> :
> :Filesystem                    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> :PFS500GP                      460G   400G    60G    87%    /
>
>     One thing you can do is see if the disk is completely readable
>     by using dd to read the raw drive. It should be able to read the
>     whole disk until it hits the end of the disk:
>
> 	dd if=/dev/blahblah of=/dev/null bs=32k

It took almost 2 hours to run but found no errors.
There was only a few "Debug: pmap_interlock 00010003" lines in dmesg output.

>     But beyond that, think back about things you might have done
>     in the past that is outside the norm for HAMMER operations
>     that might have caused the problem, such as add or remove
>     a volume or adjust the disklabel or something like that.

Nothing so extreme.

I have updated the system to the latest 2.6 a few days ago. I think the
previous version didn't have the new REDO code.

I also briefly ran a DragonFly-2.6/x86-64 test installation from another disk
and used the existing 500GB drive /home PFS. The error messages appeared the
following day.

--
Francois Tigeot