Re: Port DragonFly to Xen platform

From: Sylvestre Gallon <ccna.syl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:40:38 +0100

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Chris Turner
<c.turner@199technologies.org> wrote:
> Sylvestre Gallon wrote:
>>
>> I'm writing about the google summer of code 2010. Indeed, I would be
>> very interested in being a part of it and would love to be involved in
>> the xen project.
>
> Idea w/r/t virtualization -
>
> Wouldn't it be way cooler if dragonfly had it's own KVM-like implementaiton
> that was implemented in a vkernel-like fashion?
>
> started digging around in the VT-x instruction set a while back,
> didn't get anywhere (Aach time!) - with the goal of writing a kernel module
> that added a syscall that added 2 numbers in a separate
> virtual machine..
>
> which could then form the basis of bootstrapping further..
>
> seems to me like the VMspace API could be remapped to work against
> the virtual machine instructions with not too much glue-code + ASM
> stubs..
>
> etc, etc...
>
> rather than supporting xen, which seems to be a much more complicated
> integration..
>
> this is all highly speculative, however..
>
> hmm.

It could be a very interesting project, but I don't think that this
project and the xen ports are exclusive,

For the moment I have just had a quick look at linux kvm and at VTX
instructions.

It's not that I am not up to it or that I think that I am not able to
do it, but I will probably need more help and more mentoring to
implement a kvm-like subsystem than to port dragonflybsd to xen.

Cheers,
--
Sylvestre Gallon