Re: human-readable dmesg

To: Alexander Polakov <polachok@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 01:43:01 +0200

Alexander Polakov schrieb:
That looks pretty good but I wonder if the module could simply be
modified to use the pcidevs_data.h that already exists in
/usr/src/sys/bus/pci

Then we need to update pcidevs, don't we? I got this from NetBSD and fixed it, so GENERIC compiles fine.

Hmm,

are we talking about duplicating the purpose of 'pciconf -lv' command in the kernel here? IMHO we shouldn't have the kernel's pcidevs file include every device under the sun just to get pretty dmesgs. Who will maintain it in the future?

Also, we can't simply copy NetBSD's pcidevs file over ours since the names constructed from it are used by the kernel source and there are likely different PCI IDs for the same names somewhere as well as entries in our file which NetBSD doesn't have.

Regards,
Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx