Re: Expanding existing Hammer FS

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:23:53 -0800 (PST)

: >
: > I'd like to be able to mount by label or UUID. Currently I can do mount
: > /dev/vinum/space /space, somethink like that would be nice.
:
:But that would require some kind of registration mechanism, or
:alternatively something like FreeBSD's GEOM, which detects different
:kinds of filesystems and provides them as /dev/msdosfs/LABEL_OF_DISK or
:/dev/ufs/LABEL. I'm not sure what is the best approach.
:
:And it would only work for Hammer filesystems, right?
:
:   mount_hammer -L Hammer1 /hammer1
:   mount_hammer -L Hammer2 /hammer2
:
:Where would this information be stored?
:...
:Ideally, Hammer volumes (and every other filesystem type) would be
:autodetected. I think this is very much related to devfs registration
:(both have to register somewhere).
:...
:Regards,
:
:   Michael

    It *IS* possible to probe the location of the HAMMER volumes making up
    a filesystem.  Each volume header has all the information needed,
    including the number of volumes, which volume number in the set that
    particular device is, the unique UUID (will be the same for all
    volume segments), and the label.

					<dillon@backplane.com>