Re: FW: tcpcb (was Re: sockbuf (was Re: BGL-free net stack))

From: Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:58:47 +0300

On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Jonathan Stuart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I object to removing of IPX from DragonflyBSD.
> If we want to be competitive with other operating systems (say, for
> instance, Linux) which do support older protocols (Like IPX/SPX) than
> we might as well keep what we can.

The reason to remove IPX was not "it's old" but "nobody cares about it". Since
you do, the other reason remaining is "there are no users". If you want to
maintain it anyway, great! To begin with, you probably want to verify that the
code isn't broken in HEAD.

> I, myself am somewhat of an expert of IPX (I wrote several DOS TSR/Interrupt
> driven IPX drivers). I personally volunteer to maintain the IPX code, but
> I'll only be able to do it on weekends and sometimes during weeknights, as
> work has been very busy lately.  I'll keep the list updated on progress.

Good, although, if you don't intend to use it, I think we could use you
elsewhere :)

> As for the other protocols, I know nothing about them, and thus cannot
> maintain them, but shouldn't we leave the code in the tree while we look
> for someone can maintain those parts?

Er, the number of people who want to maintain obscure protocols (for
compatibility needs I assume) is only going to decrease with time. If
nobody cares now...

Aggelos