Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin Makefile src/usr.bin/undo Makefile undo.1 undo.c

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:41:44 -0400

At 8:55 PM +0300 6/3/08, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
On Sunday 01 June 2008, Matthew Dillon wrote:
[...]
 >   * Add a new utility called 'undo' which makes use of HAMMER
 >     capabilities to retrieve prior versions of a file, even if that
 >     file has been deleted.
 >
 >     This utility can dump all prior versions of the file, generate a
 >     history of transaction ids associated with the file, has a
 >     'quick diff' relative to the most recent change, and can also
 >     generate diffs for all versions of the file.

It seems to me this utility is a bit misnamed; while it can be used to undo
changes to a file, it works more like cvs log. Suggestions for a better name
collected on irc include

fslog/filelog
hammer log (it _is_ hammer-specific, right?)
hist (a la http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/hist.html)

I do think it is worthwhile to think about what this new command is really doing for users, and come up with a naming scheme which seems reasonable.

Based on what you've said above, it almost sounds like a limited
source-control system specific to HAMMER file systems.  To me, that
suggests something like 'hammervs', which could have sub-commands of
'hammervs revert', 'hammervs diff', 'hammervs log', etc.

Obviously "hammervs" is too long, but I'm not trying to suggest the
specific name so much as suggesting how to look at the set of
features that this will provide.  maybe 'hfsvs' ?

In any case, this sounds like it would be very cool to have, and this
could generate a lot of interest in the HAMMER fs.