Re: GSoC 2008 dma enhancements

From: Jordan Gordeev <jgordeev@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:55:51 +0300

In order to read a users .forward file, the dma-process must be run as
root, so it must be set setuid root. This would solve the problem
which I read at the mailinglist the last week, where it was not
possible to write a mail from non-root to non-root ootb.
I would not run the dma process as a daemon. It should be sufficient
if it runs as long as it tries to deliver a message and terminate
after the last message was sent. I guess when dma is used on a host,
then the mailsetup is a very tiny one (and mostly with a smarthost)
and so there should be no need to listen on port 25 or have a
queue-runner-daemon because there are not many mails to send.

I wonder what will happen if mail supposed to be delivered through smart host, can't be delivered because of temporarily inacessibility of the smart host. Where is such mail supposed to be stored, and who will re-attempt delivering it after a system crash?