Re: Kernel panic during boot in usb_add_task

From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:18:23 +0100

Bill Hacker schrieb:
Michael Neumann wrote:
Hi,

I tried my brand new HP Compaq laptop 6710b under DragonFly, but during booting
the installer CD it "throws" a page fault:

  uhub0: 2 ports ...
  uhub0: <Intel UHCI root hub, ...>

  fault virtual address = 0x0
  fault code            = supervisor write, page not present
  instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xc04a9c5c
  stack pointer         = 0x10:0xc25f8d38
  frame pointer         = 0x10:0xc25f8d48
  code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gram 1
  processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
  current process       = Idle

  kernel: type 12, code=2
  stopped at       usb_add_task+0x4c:    movl     %edi,0(%eax)

This happens with the latest snapshot version as of yesterday and also with the
1.10 release.

FreeBSD 7.0-BETA3 silently hangs during boot, while NetBSD 4.0RC_4 works like a charm (it can even dual-boot windows natively)!

Any hints?

Regards,

Michael

For starters, what does NetBSD report as the hardware and can you capture *any* scan, dmesg, or other report from FreeBSD 7-BETA3 or DFLY?

Dmesg of NetBSD-4.0_RC4 is appended.

I can start FreeBSD 7-BETA3 if I disable the LAN in the BIOS and boot without ACPI as explained here:

http://www.nabble.com/RELENG_7-and-HEAD:-bge-causes-system-hang-t4804426.html

I tried the same with DragonFly, but that didn't helped.

And have you tried DFLY and/or FreeBSD with the various boot options selected - or can you not get far enough to do so?

I can, but it doesn't help much. I tried "unset acpi_load", but that gives the same result (panic). Maybe a SATA problem I thought? But I disabled "native SATA mode" in BIOS, so I guess it's now seen by DF as a (P)ATA controller.

Well, I just wanted to share this, maybe this will help others. For now I don't want to install DF anyway, because of lack of Bluetooth and wpi (and probably X3100 graphics support).

Thanks!

Regards,

Michael