Re: implemented features (Re: Decision time....)

From: "km b" <kmb810@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 19:21:40 +1000

On 05 Jun 2007 05:30:58 GMT, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd120@gmail.com> wrote:
"km b" <kmb810@gmail.com> wrote:
>When you claim something generally, like 64-bit machines faster than
>32-bit machines, it is but specific to your application and the area
>you are working in.

Neither Michel nor I claimed anything "generally".  We're both talking
about our specific experience with scientific computation.

It is not a good excuse to claim that so and so OS is not doing what it's supposed to do.

>And you can always run dragonfly on a 64-bit machine and it doesn't
>mean the OS won't utilize the available resources of 64-bit
>processors.

In 32-bit mode the additional general-purpose registers and additional
XMM registers are not available.

This makes little difference to an OS as a whole. As I asked you, you can compare the performance on the same 64-bit machine of the same application in two different exectuion environments.

I used it for 2 years on a laptop that is now kaput.  I ceased for
various reasons, none of which was a graphical installer.  Meanwhile,
who are you and why don't you put a real name to your flames?

I can imagine how could you have used it. Just because it didn't serve your purpose, you'd want to claim that DragonFly ain't SMP capable.

As for who I am, I'd say that I started this thread just because my
sentiments got hurt due to your negative comments. And it's mentality
of the people to claim something flame, when they find they are at
fault.

Have fun.

Cheers
kmb