Re: FIXING VN AND CCD DEVICES ON HEAD! Re: HEADS up on HEAD

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

:By the way, I think this is worth an entry in /usr/src/UPDATING.
:Oh, and is it possible to share the filesystems on ccd or vn
:with 1.8.x installation after running `dd' command?

    Good idea re: UPDATING. I'll work on something.

    Yes, the physical storage is compatible.  It will still be compatible
    even after I get the pluggable disk labeling system in.

    What isn't compatible are the filesystem related binaries (disklabel,
    fdisk, newfs, etc)... because they have to use new ioctl()s that don't
    exist in 1.8, and the device minor numbers have changed a lot so disk
    devices in /dev are not compatible between 1.8 and 1.9.  They are
    just compatible enough to be able to boot, but that's about it.

    Mostly this means you have to learn to use the correct disk specification.
    e.g. no more doing 'disklabel ad0' when the disklabel is actually on
    ad0s1.

:I followed the instruction, and now I get no error messages when I access
:/dev/ccd0, but zero bytes can be read from/written to it.  The `dd' command
:gave me the following output:
:  # dd if=/dev/zero count=1 bs=512 of=/dev/ccd0
:  dd: /dev/ccd0: end of device
:  1+0 records in
:  0+0 records in
:  0 bytes transferred in 0.000056 secs (0 bytes/sec)
:is this expected?
:
:I changed my /etc/ccd.conf to look like this:
:  ccd0s0 1152 none /dev/ad0s1e /dev/ad1s1e
:  ccd1s0 16 CCDF_MIRROR,CCDF_UNIFORM /dev/ad0s1g /dev/ad1s1g
:
:However, I still can't access neither of the filesystems on ccd devices.
:I hope I haven't missed anything.
:
:Thanks.

    Well, ccd.conf still must specify 'ccd0' and 'ccd1', not 'ccds0' and
    'ccds1'.  ccdconfig needs to access the base device to actually do
    all the attaches.

    ccd0 1152 none /dev/ad0s1e /dev/ad1s1e
    ccd1 16 CCDF_MIRROR,CCDF_UNIFORM /dev/ad0s1g /dev/ad1s1g

    You should be able to 'dd' from /dev/ccd0 and /dev/ccd1 with the above,
    and if there is no MBR the disklabel should be accessible via
    /dev/ccd0s0 and /dev/ccd1s0.

    dd if=/dev/ccd0 bs=512 count=2 | hexdump -C

    disklabel ccd0s0

    --

    If you are depending on a reboot to setup the CCD, trying doing:

    ccdconfig -U
    ccdconfig -C

    after booting to see what errors you get.

					<dillon@backplane.com>