Re: HEADS up on HEAD

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 22:23:57 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi Matt,
:I know this has been discussed before, but what about dynamic /dev ?
:
:Petr

    Yah, it's actually doable with the infrastructure we have now, but a
    dynamic /dev doesn't replace GPT or a new 64 bit disklabel.  I have to
    do all this work anyway, dynamic or static.

    Since I was able to expand the partition and slice bits in the minor
    number we are no longer hitting up against any significant limitations
    in the current scheme.

    A dynamic /dev (well, lets say /devfs) would be a great project for
    an interested party to do but it isn't in the critical path so I'd
    rather not spend the time doing it myself.