RFC for VKERNEL 'external' shutdown

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:47:53 -0400

Hello All,

I'll probably start working on a little patch soon to enable 'clean'
VKERNEL shutdown from the host system via some simple mechanism such as
a signal handler.

Before I dig too deeply, a couple questions:

1) does this sound useful?

2) any 'gotchas' I should know about ?

   (e.g. VMSPACE / strange signal interaction)

3) thoughts on best implementation?

   I'm thinking the easiest and most 'real-system-like' would be to
   pass the same signals mentioned in init(8) directly to the in-VKERNEL
   init, which would "just work" (TM) & make things most consistant
   with a 'real system', although making TERM do a full shutdown
   might better suited to the vkernel environment (so all the
   vkernel systems don't need to fsck on boot when the host does
   a shutdown and inadvertently kills them)

Thanks in advance,

- Chris