Re: Google SoC 2007 details

From: "Stilyan Tsenov" <naylits@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:57:10 -0800

Maybe it is better to wait some time so X people bring mode line
setting in the kernel before working on the console.
What I mean :http://keithp.com/blog/kernel-mode-drivers.html
and in addition http://jonsmirl.googlepages.com/graphics.html
especially "Splitting console".For the lazy :) here is what I focus
on:
"The user console is the opposite of system console, it needs to be
high performance and user friendly. A user space implementation makes
it easy to handle multiuser by creating a process for each user. User
space allows full GPU based acceleration via fbdev and DRM. You also
have easy access to Xft/FreeType for full Unicode support. With proper
design the console can even allow different users on each head. By
coding the appropriate hot keys it can be made to behave just like
existing VTs and support console swaps."
Using the upcoming SYSLINK protocol it may be easier to migrate
consoles to userspace.So I think porting DRI drivers to DragonFly is a
better SoC project making the OS a modern desktop.