Re: VKernel progress update - 11 Jan 2007

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:55:26 +0900

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:16:37AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 10:08:56PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :>     The virtual kernel is a lot more stable now.  My vkernel paniced
> :>     once while I was doing an installworld... it ran out of room in
> :>     its kernel_map.  I haven't tracked down the reason for that.
> :
> :Hi, I played with vkernel for a while today, and here are what I noticed:
> :..
>
>     Make sure that you do a full rebuild of the real kernel *and* the
>     virtual kernel.  Whenever you see me commit to anything other then
>     machine/vkernel that probably means that the real kernel has to be
>     rebuilt too.  Make sure you are using the latest HEAD sources from
>     the master site.

I was very sure my kernel/vkernel/world was in sync.

> :- if I type ctrl+T (SIGINFO) and vkernel immediately terminates, and
> :  I need to run fsck in the next boot.  Is this intended?
> :...
> :- the vkernel environment won't make it into "login:" prompt (that was
> :  when I pressed ctrl+T :), and when I dropped into DDB in vkernel,
>
>     It kinda sounds like your real kernel and your virtual kernel are
>     out of sync, or you aren't running the latest HEAD.  The ^T issue
>     was something that occured 2 days ago, but I can hold it down now
>     and get continuous reports with it crashing.

No, it just terminates, not a crash.  Hmm, I'm getting confused...
When I login to another machine, the `stty status' feature is assigned
to either ctrl+T or ctrl+SPACE, depending on the machine or the console.
This time I remember looking at `stty -a' and the status feature is assigned
to ctrl+T:
# stty -a
speed 115200 baud; 25 rows; 80 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
        brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
        -dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: ckpt = <undef>; discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D;
        eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; erase2 = ^H;
        intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\;
        reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z;
        time = 0; werase = ^W;

and when I start vkernel on this machine, pressing ctrl+T just worked
as expected.  However, if I press ctrl+SPACE(or ctrl+@), vkernel terminated
immediately, instead of printing "^@".  Does this key comibnation have
special meaning?

> :  I couldn't find getty running.  I don't usually login on the console
> :  to this machine, is it related?  this is what I got in single user mode
> :  in vkernel:
> :    # tty
> :    /dev/console
> :    # tty < /dev/ttyv0
> :    cannot open /dev/ttyv0: Device not configured
> :    # tty < /dev/ttyp0
> :    (I pressed ctrl+C here)
> :    ^Ccannot open /dev/ttyp0: Interrupted system call
>
>     You have to modify the virtual kernel's /etc/ttys.  Turn on the console
>     getty, and turn off all the other getty's.
>
>     console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
>     (all others off)

Yes, this gave me the login prompt finally!  And after your commits today,
other problems seem to be fixed too.

Thanks.