Re: DragonflyBSD fast syscall support and x86 improvements

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:23:19 +0000

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    For better or for worse, the IA32 ABI is stack-based.  Believe me,
    being an old Amiga guy I would *LOVE* to see the registerized call
    standard be the default rather then a special GCC '__blah' qualifier.

Well, the ISA is, but the underlying micro architecture isn't. The ISA doesn't expose the problems with memory access in stack-based languages, but the CPUs do experience those. With a Hobbit or ARM with Java extensions you would have less of an issue with this. So I think you can get real performance advantages when optimizing for the actual RISC register-based core behind the IA32 ISA. How is a bit of a problem, since you can't use the whole lot of registers actually available due to register renaming, but I think x86-64 in 64b long mode has more GP registers available, no? An optimization for AMD64 (together with a port of DragonFlyBSD to it ;)) would be very, very neat :).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx