Re: User-Space Device Drivers

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:08:07 -0800 (PST)

:Hello, everyone.
:
:I don't have the previous news list item handy, but creating a
:user-space extension of the VFS is not what I had in mind.  I just
:thought I'd send the list a friendly message that I won't be doing that,
:since it's not the aim of my thesis.
:
:Actually, I'm still stuck between implementing my thesis on DragonFly
:and GNU Hurd-L4 or Coyotos.  Right now I'm leaning towards Coyotos since
:it's an ongoing academic project from the same person that implemented
:the successful EROS project.
:
:I think what DFly is doing is good.  I just don't think it exactly
:aligns with my own goals right now.
:
:You may hear back from me if I do start implementing on DFly, but I'm
:not sure right now.  I just thought you all should get an insight about
:my current plan.
:
:Thanks!
:
:--
:William Michael Grim

    That's fine.  I wish you luck on your project!  My own work is
    progressing well and I could reach the point where I can actually
    start designing a userland VFS API for DragonFly in a month or two.
    There is still a great deal of precursor work that must be done,
    but it is shaping up pretty well.