Re: namecache coherency, 2nd turn

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 12:44:13 -0800 (PST)

:Yes, with my implementation the lock structure would reside in B.
:When you do the A -> B cut, the group is locked, so after the cut B will
:be in a locked state with in a natural way. Furthermore, my code makes
:sure that the locking stuff in A is set to "locked" before the cut, so
:when the cut takes place, A will end up locked, too.
:
:Interface-wise it would be a cache_shadow_detach(A) call, which would
:then return B. If the caller doesn't need B she can just cache_put() it,
:making it accessible for contenders. (Actually, I always do it
:like "cache_put(cache_shadow_detach(ncp))", as I never wanted to do
:anything with the "B" part [maybe the cache_put() call should be integrated
:into cache_shadow_detach()...]).

    The problem is not what happens after you lock the group, the problem
    is the locking operation itself.

    Lets say you have A->B(L).

    Process #2 locks B.  The lock succeeds.

    Process #1 tries to lock A, and blocks on the lock residing in B.

    Process #2 detaches A from B, then destroys B.  From its point of view,
    it has clear access to the entire group when, in fact, it doesn't.

    Process #1 blows up because B(L) no longer exists.

    This case cannot occur pre-patch because any given namecache record
    will be ref'd (nc_refs) and this prevents the namecache record from
    being destroyed while a contended lock is pending on it.

    But post-patch B(L)'s only refs will be from process #2 and from the
    shadow association.  B(L) will not have a ref from process #1 as far
    as I can tell.  Both refs go away when process #2 detaches A
    from B and then unlocks, sees that the ref count on B is zero, and
    then destroys B.  Process #1 then breaks.

    Embedding the lock in B in this case greatly reduces our coding
    flexibility during splits and merges.  The code needs to be more
    flexible.  For example, having a separately allocated shadow
    information structure allows us to implement a symmetric algorithm
    with respect to a process attempting to lock A and a process attempting
    to lock B.  They would bump a ref count in the shared shadow info
    structure and then simply check that the association still exists
    after the lock has been successfully obtained.  If the lock is
    embedded in B, aka B(L), then A would have to bump B's ref count
    prior to attempting to obtain the lock, to prevent B from going away.
    This is highly assymetric and could introduce hard to find bugs.

    --

    I understand what you are trying to do by defering tree cleanups until
    re-resolution, but I think its a mistake.  It's always a bad idea to

    Algorithmic simplicity is a lot more important then avoiding malloc()'s.
    It's too easy to program yourself in a corner.