Re: sysmouse/tty weirdness

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:04:49 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    Well, fix the program first.  When you print out the
    raw data iterate from total to total + readcnt, not
    from 0 to total + readcnt.

that's on purpose so I see the buffered bytes stacking up.

    The if (total >= sizetab[level]) ... needs to be
    while (total >= sizetab[level]), otherwise if enough
    mouse movements build up you will overflow your buffer.

yea right, though that didn't happen yet (with a 50 bytes buffer).

It should still have worked reasonably well, but perhaps fixing those two issues will make the problem
more obvious.

it just got weirder... for SOME reason if i start it while X has the focus (X also using sysmouse, mouse works there, although without scroll wheel), it will display correct output. running a hd /dev/sysmouse will also nicely print along. Note that this works when running from xterm as well when running via ssh.

Now comes the funny part: switch to a console vty. still works! also another instance will work correctly... until I quit all running showmouse/hexdump and rerun them... all in/out going totally wrong again... until (no, you don't believe this) I switch to X. As soon as I switch to X again everything works again. So X is doing *something* which makes sysmouse output correct data.

I guess I'm not far from the problem, probably some initialization which isn't documented or such (but I know it worked before!)

cheers
  simon