Re: Interrupt routing code

From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:27:27 +0000

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:31:53PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
: :I discovered a problem possibly related to the new interrupt code.  My Toshiba
: :laptop has a LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card NIC that always worked fine
: :before.
: :
: :Now, the card gives messages about 'IRQ 11 livelock exceeded 50000' or
: :something similar.  If more details are needed, I can provide them when I get
: :home later this afternoon.
: :
: :The messages continue repeating over and over, and DHCP is never able to get
: :an address.
: :
: :jm
:
:     Hmm.  Well, the interrupt routing code hasn't actually been changed,
:     it works the same as it did before (or should).  But there have been
:     changes made to the livelock detection code as well as changes made
:     to ACPI, and some work has been done on the interrupt handler.
:
:     So try:
:
:     * Try booting without ACPI

This old laptop doesn't like ACPI, so I have it turned off.

:     * Try increasing the livelock limit (kern.livelock_limit) to 100000.
:       (though I doubt this fix the problem).

I'll try that today.

:     Also, try booting older ISOs (assuming your laptop has a CD drive)
:     and see at what point the failure begins.

I went from the last preview a month or so ago to HEAD, so that would make
backtracking a bit more difficult.  Especially since I don't really have the
bandwidth to burn a bunch of ISOs.

Is there anything else I can do to narrow down the problem?

jm
--
'What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
What the hell is a gander, anyway?' - George Costanza