Re: Fatal trap 12 on booting GERERIC kernel

From: Noritoshi Demizu <demizu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:18:42 +0900 (JST)

Thank you, Yonetani-san.

I just come to the same place.  In my case, when I type "ls" in the
sinle user mode,

	dp->d_reclen			= 12
	offsetof(struct dirent, d_name)	= 8
	dp->d_namlen			= 9

So, (dp->d_reclen - offsetof(struct dirent, d_name) - dp->d_namlen) == -5
in my case.

BTW, vop_write_dirent() calls bzero as the following.

	bzero(dp->d_name + dp->d_namelen,
	      dp->d_reclen - offsetof(struct dirent, d_name) - dp->d_namlen);

And "dp" points to an auto variable.

So, generic_bzero() might interpret -5 as 0xfffffffb and clears the
kernel stack from the auto variable to the bottom of the kernel stack,
then encounters page fault.  That would be the reason why generic_bzero()
is displayed at the bottom of the stack trace and its arguments are all
zero.

In vop_write_dirent(), dp->d_reclen = GENERIC_DIRSIZ(dp) is executed
without assigning a value to dp->d_namelen.  I think this is the reason
why dp->d_reclen was 12 (too short) in my case.

A possible fix would be to assign a correct value to tp->d_namelen
before using GENERIC_DIRSIZ(dp).

Regards,
Noritoshi Demizu