Re: cvs crosscheck up again

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:30:40 -0400

At 11:02 AM +0200 7/8/05, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
hey,

just wanted to drop a quick note that the cvscrosscheck which
existed at the beginning of the year is now up again. it still
needs some tweaks, but I consider it almost there where I want
it to be.

<http://oly.corecode.ath.cx/~corecode/cgi-bin/crosscgi.py>

feedback welcome!

This is very interesting work. When looking at a 'changeset' under OpenBSD, I often see some extra clutter lines such as:

cvs rdiff: /space/cvs/openbsd/CVSROOT/config [2]: unrecognized keyword `umask'
cvs rdiff: /space/cvs/openbsd/CVSROOT/config [3]: unrecognized keyword `dlimit'
cvs rdiff: /space/cvs/openbsd/CVSROOT/options [2]: unrecognized keyword `umask'
cvs rdiff: /space/cvs/openbsd/CVSROOT/options [3]: unrecognized keyword `dlimit'

I haven't noticed this in freebsd or netbsd sections, but then I
haven't looked around all that much.

I like the idea of having some attempt to collect change-sets.
Another "cvs-via-web" setup that does this is:

http://www.openafs.org/frameset/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/openafs/

which has some other interesting ideas.  You might have to bounce
around a bit to notice them.  They have a 'show deltas' option which
is something like a named-link to a change set (I have no idea where
the name comes from).  When you click on it, you get a simple listing
of which files where effected by that changeset.  Something along the
lines of:

** DELTA move-readmes-one-level-up-20010716 **

File Name			Old	New
------------------------------  ---     ---
openafs/INSTALL		 -	1.1
openafs/README			 -	1.1
openafs/README.OBSOLETE		 -	1.1
openafs/README.SECURITY		 -	1.1
openafs/src/INSTALL		1.2	 -
openafs/src/README		1.12	 -
openafs/src/README.OBSOLETE	1.3	 -
openafs/src/README.SECURITY	1.3	 -

(with an optional 4th column which has a link named 'diff' for
any line which has both an old and a new version...)

I think that some of their web pages end up a bit too busy with
too much going on, but I can see how some of the extra features
would be useful.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx