Re: The time has come for a kernel interfacing library layer

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 01:50:35 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
Older static
binaries are going to be more of a problem since they cannot be retrofitted.

So those are supposedly doomed for COMPAT_*. I happened to ran into a relevant issue just a few hours ago, with a program that expected FreeBSD3 signal handlers in place (and possibly more, but it dumped core before I could get further :)). For a moment I thought this would be the answer, but I guess I have to keep hacking at the semi closed source software (which is multiplatform, but has none of the inherent structural organization and splitting of MD code... sigh... and they use Gnu autoconf as well!) until they accept my patch :).

Cheers,
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

p.s.