Re: Do we need to export OSVERSION?

From: Max Okumoto <okumoto@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:48:33 -0700

Max Okumoto wrote:
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:36:38AM -0700, Max Okumoto wrote:

I think #4 is the easiest and would not break things, but I am not sure it would not break things. Why did we use .makeenv
for OSVERSION?

To prevent /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.*.mk from overriding it. You can make it a normal assignment if you verify that it doesn't get overriden. I think it can be a normal assignment.

Joerg

The verify operation is the hard part :-)  I was hoping someone
knew the answer.  The ports structure is a twisty maze of backwards
and forewards compat hacks.

Max

Ok I checked the usage of OSVERSION, and I have run tests on some ports. It looks like we do not need to export OSVERSION since the /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk file puts it into MAKEFLAGS, which propigates the variable anyway.

OSVERSION is only used by the make infrastructure so anything that
references that variable would get it from make's global scope, or would
get it from a recursively called make which would have put it into the
env since it is in MAKEFLAGS.

Max