Re: rc and smf

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 04:05:26 +0800

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

*SNIP*

....... I don't want runit in the
base system [or similiar tools] and parallel startup for rcNG is surely
possible, but adds some difficult problems as well. I'm not a friend
of the "My system needs only 15.656 seconds to boot" style dick
comparisions.

Joerg

Applause!

Lest we forget, the BIOS and POST are outside of our control, and can already take most of the boot time, especially if there is a RAID controller and/or SCSI's. Then there is slow network or time-source response time.

Anything shaved by a few seconds elsewhere is just not going to change those.

Anyway 'production' *BSD servers are rebooted what - once a calendar quarter? Once a month?

Bill