Re: rc and smf

From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:51:14 +0100

Dan Melomedman wrote:

You don't see the point. It takes a long time to fix the fault. BSD has
nothing to do with this. The real world does. You don't want a nuclear
reactor to explode because it took an admin five minutes to notice the
fault, and restart the service.

Dan,

earning my money by working in refineries and all kinds of other chemical plants, I can assure you that it is _very_ unlikely that one of them will explode because of a failed *NIX service. :) You wouldn't get a permission to start your plant up in the first place if it was designed to rely on a service being up all the time.

Windows machines and *NIX workstations are used for process visualization only in these environments. I/O with the field is done by (usually redundant) modules running well known (i.e. rather old) software and on top of this you usually have failsafe PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers) that override the control system in case of an emergency.

Of course, this might be different in countries like North Korea or so...

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx