Re: IBM "Cell" processor

From: esmith <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:02:28 -0500

Dave Leimbach wrote:
 > I think this "cell" technology is somewhat related to PCA project:

http://www.morphware.org. Being able to dynamically reconfigure the "cpu"
for different applications. I think this means you need to think of the processing unit in a new light and that cell is directly related to this.

Also the performance numbers you probably see from it are most likely
highly dependent on locality of reference which means "streaming" applications.

Is it true that this form of interprocessor communication is, in some ways, similar to Java's RMI? We will have a long time to read the morphware papers because according to the URL below, workstations are at least one year, maybe 18 months, away.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/29/ps3_to_ship_2006

This chip will be in the IBM Power Architecture family so, if someone were determined to get a head-start on porting DF to the Cell, they could probably make significant inroads by simply porting to a current 64 bit PowerPC platform. There has been a lot of Intel-groaning on the commit list in the last few months.