Re: option for "boot to kernel.old"

To: Paul Herman <pherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:13:44 +0200

Paul Herman wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Matthew Dillon wrote:

And, even better... if someone does a 'make installkernel' more then once
without rebooting it shouldn't overwrite kernel.old the second time, and
if someone does a 'make installkernel' while *running* kernel.old it
shouldn't overwrite kernel.old either.

While we're throwing out ideas... :-)

I've always had on my wishlist a way to optionaly have /kernel "expire" in such a way that if the timestamp on /kernel is older than, say, 10 minutes, then boot from /kernel.old.

The option to "testboot" /kernel would be enormously useful if you don't have physical access to a machine and the newly installed kernel for some reason doesn't boot. Just have someone hit the reset button 10 minutes later.

I think the only real hacking needed would be to make /boot/loader aware of the CMOS clock. It's been something I've been looking to do, just haven't gotten around to it.

man 8 nextboot is in order.

-Maxim