Re: learning dragonfly or C...

From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:19:12 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> The statement:
>
> 	vpp = &vp
>
> is ``dereferencing'' vp. Dereferencing effectively provides the address
> in memory of a variable.

> modfunction(int *bar)
> {
>
> 	*bar = 3; /* Change bar to 3 */
> 	printf("%d\n", *bar);
> 	return;
> }

> 	modfunction(&foo);

> This time, we ``dereferenced'' our variable foo (and, on a sidenote, I
> don't know why it's called dereferencing, I think it's a horrible name
> and substitute it mentally with ``grab the address of'' whenever I see

  It's called dereferencing because a pointer is a reference to something,
and dereferencing is the act of doing away with the reference
(de-referencing) and handling what is actually pointed to instead.  So the
opposite of what you said really.  Did you get enough sleep tonight?  :-)

 (but *bar = 3 in modfunction() is dereferencing bar though, if that's
what you meant.)

  I have no idea what the opposite operation (&) is called.  Referencing?
Nah..

Magnus