Re: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:04:32 -0700 (PDT)

    Ok, good.  I'll make the change.

    Re: Andrew Atrens module issue.  I'll make the INSTALL_STRIPPED option
    also strip modules.  Remember that for your own purposes the kernel.debug
    left in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BLAH/kernel.debug is still there, as are
    the debug versions of the modules (in subdirectories).  But once the
    basics are in we can refine the mechanism to address module/kernel
    issues if it becomes needful.

    Re: Andreas Hauser's wondering about whether it should be turned off for
    releases, I think the answer is no:  It should be left on for releases.
    Especially for releases ~30% of the bug reports would have benefited.

    People with special needs can easily turn it off.  And, I suppose,
    for the new upgrade option the installer is going to have we could
    even install a stripped version of the kernel if there isn't enough
    space for the debug version.  That's probably overkill, though.