Re: ATA timeout issues

From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:42:38 +0100

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:18:38PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:     I thought this patch might help but after further review I don't think
:     it will.  It turns out that the ATA driver doesn't use the busdma
:     API yet.
:
:     Another possiblity is that the ATA device is sharing an interrupt
:     with another device when booted into DragonFly, and not sharing it
:     when booted into FreeBSD-4.  There are several threads on the FreeBSD
:     lists related to issues with shared ATA interrupts.
:
:     I'm investigating other avenues.

Cool.  Well, I tried it last night, and after detecting the drive, the
system seemed to time out and then fail, asking me for a device to mount as
the root partition.  I was going to copy the source for the kernel, patch
it, and rebuild, but if that is not the problem, I won't bother.

Let me know what else I can do to help, such as giving any interrupt info
from my running FreeBSD system.

I guess what I don't get is why there is a difference between the two?

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.