Re: vfs megapatch 09 (not for the faint of heart)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

:So far, so good.  I've run cvsup on the ports collection and portupgrade
:is rebuilding kdebase with no problems.
:
:I mounted an msdos partition, listed the directory, and unmounted it --
:that's about all I was willing to risk on an untested fs for now.
:
:One odd thing:  I just cvsup'd the DFly sources again, which checked
:out a whole bunch of vfs-related kernel source files.  I assumed that
:cvsup just reverted the patch I applied a while ago -- so I went to
:reapply the patch and got errors saying the patch was already applied.
:
:The only way I can explain that is if you just committed the patch
:to HEAD sometime between 0400-0430 this morning -- is this right?

    No.  I haven't applied the patch yet.  If you are cvsup'ing the
    sources directly cvsup can get confused and overwrite some modified
    files.  Or, alternatively, you might be cvsup'ing the stable tag instead
    of HEAD.  For this type of work it is better to cvsup the CVS tree
    and use 'cvs update' on the source tree.