Re: DFly installer needs option to ovewrite system binaries while keep user installed programs and data

From: Tomaž Borštnar <tomaz.borstnar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 11:21:55 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:

The solution, Tomaz, is for you not to use GCC-3.x snapshots or runtimes.
afaik I did not.

In anycase, a gcc-3 built /boot/loader is what is generating the stack overflow. I think all the other boot bits work with both compilers.

Compiling and installing new boot blocks:

    cd /usr/src/sys/boot
    make clean
    make obj
    make
    make install
I did all this via live cd and sources on disk and it worked, but I specifically set CCVER to gcc2 and made sure that stack protection was NOT turned on.

So it appears that this is not gcc3-only issue. It appears on another Opteron machine as well.

disklabel -B ad0s1 (for example)
was not needed.

So it appears I need to run another script to do the steps you mentioned, but specifically with gcc2 and WITHOUT stack protection.

Tomaž