Re: vfs05.patch

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:29:58 -0700

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     But the grand result, when all is said and done, is going to be a big
>     improvement in path lookup performance...

Very briefly (25 words or less) could you clarify for me just how much this
current work depends on what you've already done.  I.e. could this upcoming
work be applied to FBSD 4.x as well as DFly?

>     ...If you want your DragonFly to remain
>     totally stable then stick with the "DragonFly_Stable" tag instead of head.
>     If you want to test the VFS work as it goes in, stick with head.

Will these major changes involve userland also?  (Sounds to me like they may.)

That is:  when I get kernel panics can I just reboot the old kernel and carry
on -- or not?  IOW, the prospect of re-installing from scratch looms large?

I don't necessarily object, but I'd better burn a recent install CD if that's
the case.