Re: Buildworld dying

From: Walter Venable <weaseal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:33:14 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Alright, done, but now we're sadly back to the Signal 11:
:
:All 4.6 megs of the output: http://userpages.umbc.edu/~venable1/bw.out
:
:Or just the last 400 lines (about 175K): :http://userpages.umbc.edu/~venable1/bw400.out
:
:-Walter Venable

If it errors out in a different place each time you run the buildworld
then signal 11's and signal 4's are almost always an indication of a
hardware cpu or memory problem. If your BIOS has the knobs you might be
able to slow the machine down a bit to try to work around it. Otherwise
the only options are to replace the memory (which might or might not solve the problem), or get a new machine.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, I'm thinking this machine may just get tossed. I'll give memtest86 a go, but there's not much worth keeping on it anyway. I just kept it around for testing out fun things (like DFly). I do have another spare machine at home, but I won't be able to work with that one for a few months.

Thanks,
Walter Venable