Re: stupid ports question

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:48:10 +0200

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 02:37:47PM +0200, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
>   Since I run NetBSD on my other machine, most things are similar, but few
> are identical.  Specifically, I can't seem to find a way to set compiler
> flags, etc, for all ports (like compiling for 686) and selecting
> "features" of ports (like X GUI or not); i.e. something similar to NetBSDs
> /etc/mk.conf .

/etc/make.conf

But be aware that FreeBSD ports are often not audited for supported CFLAGS
or CC overrides.

>   I have read the ports manpage and the handbook (btw, why isn't that
> linked from the web site? It took some searching the mailing lists to
> find..) but haven't seen anything that has helped.  Have I missed
> something?  Do I have to type in stuff like USE_ flags manually for every
> compile?

Most likely you have to specify the WITH_ flags everytime because there are
very few common ones like WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.

>   And why doesn't make -j N work?  It invariably fails if there is any
> kind of "interactiveness" before the compile..  Come to think of it, I
> don't think any compile has gone through with the -j flag.

make -j is not supported for ports. It doesn't add any real use because
some ports don't use BSD make (many want gmake) and it's very difficult to
ensure that any port really supports parallel make.

>   And apart from all that, I think it's about time that users@ list was
> created.  (or call it misc@ or anything)

That's up to Matt.

Joerg