Re: PCI Express

From: David Rhodus <sdrhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:07:40 -0400

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:43:32 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It would be implemented as a new bridge type with specific interface for
> PCIe. The current interrupt model is limited and I'm working my way through
> the code to develop something better.
>
> Joerg

It looks like we should split up the pci host-bridge drivers so that a
given ACPI or legacy line can interface into a enhanced or legacy
configuration layer.  We will need to hash out a new API for MSI.  MSI
support requires that the driver become aware of how many interrupt
vector lines it has access to.  Each interrupt vector is set a
specific priority level giving each a specific meaning. This is to
allow the driver to handle each vector in a independent manner.

As for PCI-E or PCI hot-plug, this is something we defiantly do not
have infrastructure for right now.  Currently it is still debatable
whether specification information will be available.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus