Re: atheros status ?

From: Andrew Atrens <atrens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:57:45 -0400

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 04:01:51PM -0400, Andrew Atrens wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Just curious about the status of the atheros driver. There's
>> an embedded side-project I'm working on that requires it and my
>> two current choices seem to be FreeBSD 5.x or NetBSD 2.x ...
>
> I have a test version lying around which gives a reproducable segfault
> in the HAL. Not really useful and Sam Leffler wasn't helpful too.
> ATM you are better to use NDIS under DragonFly.

Cool. A group of folks in my area are starting a wireless co-op - our
not-so-remote area is currently not served by DSL or cable - and our
h/w partner has asked me to investigate porting a *bsd to their
point-to-point backbone node h/w. They're currently running linux on
the cards and the Atheros driver used in their Linux doesn't support
'Turbo' mode operation ( according to the vendor, turbo mode boosts
speed from roughly 10Mb/s to up to 108Mb/s ). Since we're just
starting as a co-op and are strapped for cash it would be cool to
boost the backbone speed w/o need for a h/w upgrade.

I don't have too many extra cycles these days, but I thought I'd give
it a go... ;) ...

Where can I find out more about ndis ? ... I can't imagine that it
would be as simple as downloading the windows drivers from the
vendor site and plugging them into ndis. :) :) :)

Andrew.