Re: ideas

From: Ed <df@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:09:32 +0200

On Friday 23 July 2004 19:32, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     But for publishing and 'nametag' purposes... any situation where
>     the target audience might not be familiar with what DragonFly
>     is, we tend to stick the 'BSD' onto the end to make it more
>     clear.

I understand, but I would suggest to push the adoption of "DragonFlyBSD" as a
brand for marketing. Think at a t-shirt: you don't want 3 different version,
right ?

>     But there are several other very good reasons to not include packages
>     (beyond the half dozen that the installer needs and things like cvsup),
>     ports, and source on a release-CD... the reasons are: (*) Because the
> data becomes obsolete virtually the day after it is released and (*)
> Because these days anyone capable of downloading the ISO is also going to
> have sufficient network access to get the other pieces they want, (*)
> Because we have to be more careful about our download bandwidth resources.

1) cvsup + cvsup.conf
it's not updated often, so you could install it by default as a package.

2) src tree
you can choose to enclose it in the ISO or put it online as a .tgz
However everyone who download the ISO would probably download the tarball too,
so I'm not sure that you'll save bandwidth. Also some newbies could use a
cvsup mirror to checkout the whole src tree and I don't think this is a good
thing.

	Ed