feedback ( testing DF on an NEC Versa FM320 laptop)

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:46:33 +0200

Hello list,

I took DF out for a spin on my laptop and I thought that reading feedback could be amusing at doll moments :-)
First of all kudos to the team, the last time I was that impressed with an OS was when I switched from NT to FreeBSD 4.4

My first impression (only using it for a couple of hours) is that it feels like FBSD4, with functionality of 5.
On a second view the structure (from a users view) is IMHO more logical and cleaner than FBSD (I'm sorry that I can only refer to that OS because it is the only one I have some UNIX experience in, besides some glaring at linux and NetBSD/OpenBSD).

I deeply regret that I can not be of any good assistance other then just test it as my desktop OS (installing a test server tomorrow) and report back anything I see.

I really like the live-cd installer idea, installing DF was a breeze, although the first time I didn't get it booting , but reinstalling with all options in the "boot selector installation phase" set works the way I expected (I dual boot it with XP).
However I wonder where the geometry warning went, which I used to see when installing FBSD.

For the interested I made a dmesg and other text outputs like pciconf and kernel config, which can be located at http://www.xs4all.nl/~mhellwig/dfbfeedback/ .

I hope this post was amusing enough to read till this line :-) and the text outputs where worth clicking, more feedback will arrive (sooner or later).

--
mph

$ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bikeshed.sh
$ Usage, mix UNIX with: {politics|religion|both(=GNU/Linux)}