Re: syscall-msg emulation layer help

From: "Carlo \"vl4d\" Comin" <vl4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:05:49 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
Hey, I only have 500 unread emails in my mailbox!

:P

The general idea is to have a kernel-managed 'emulation layer' space that is up in kernel memory and managed by the kernel but is also read/exec from userland.
yeah, but how can userspace access to kernelmemory without calling interrupts? messaging interface is kernel related only, isn't it?

    'Newer' programs would be aware of this space and be able to call into
    it directly.  So in the sense of DFly-native programs, the emulation
    layer would act more like a shared library (though in reality it would
    not be).

i got it, but can you tell me some more about not-native programs? should the emulation layer provide for translate int0x80 requests into syscall-msgs style? it's a real fogged point in my head :(
    Since the emulation space would be using the messaging interface, it
    would be thread-safe.
that's great

Thanks in advance!