Re: DragonFly faster than linux or FreeBSD?

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:30:04 +0200

Steve Mynott wrote:

On the same aging laptop (P2/366/192Mb with kern.mmxopt=1) I have ran FreeBSD 5, Linux (Fedora) and DragonFly.

Although, its not scientific and quite subjective I have had the distinct impression that both KDE (3.2.1) and Java (Native FreeBSD) are noticably faster on DragonFly than the other systems.

The FreeBSD 5 result is perhaps no surprise but the Linux one was (maybe resulted from different KDE versions/graphic drivers).

Can anyone confirm this?

If you try FreeBSD 4.x, it should be even a bit faster :)
FreeBSD 5 went downhill after the 5.x split[*], and DFlyBSD is trying to achieve its features using different approaches to the same problems (SMP, scalability), but starting "from scratch" with the 4.x branch.

[*] IMHO, ofcourse :)