Re: Wrap-up Time (Regarding June Release)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:08:56 -0700 (PDT)

:> I might be wrong, but the general "stress-test" tool used by the FreeBSD
:> crew is "make buildworld" with an appropriate -j option for your machine.
:
:OK - The UP is a Celeron 633MHz with 512MB of memory, 80MB/S scsi-disks
:
:the SMP is 2xCeleron 400MHz, with 512MB of memory, standard ide disks.
:
:Any ideas of appropriate -j values?

    It depends what you are testing.  I usually test with -j 4 or -j 8.  If
    I want to test machine swapping I reboot with a /boot/loader.conf line
    containing 'hw.physmem=64m' or something like that and ru the same test.
    If I want to life-test the build I use -j 20 or higher.