Re: apt-get

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:21:21 +1000

Warning, warning!
I am not a DragonFlyBSD user (just a wanna-be), nor a contributer to any software projects, nor particularly experienced with keeping software up-to-date.

I use:
- FreeBSD-5 for servers, firewall
- Windows for everything else.
- Ports for most services (WITHOUT_X).

I am happy with the ports system because:
- I can have a vague feeling that something is going to build on my machine
- I can build WITHOUT_X
- I find it easy enough to discover build options (sometimes I want to change install & config paths, etc)
- I haven't used much else

I am interested in DFly primarily because of the rumours of the reworked VFS sub-system and package management.

I've noticed that this thread has mainly used examples of KDE and other GUI stuff. I wonder whether it is worth considering a first draft packaging system that doesn't include GUI stuff.

I've also been wondering about paths (one of the reasons I've been building packages rather than installing binaries).
Wouldn't most paths be strings in the object file?
Is there a post-build configuration tool that can just change the appropriate strings?

There's lots of other uninformed wondering I indulge in too.

Anyway, touch wood that one day I'm not just cheering from the sidelines.
SDH